Transferring a domain lets you manage both your domain and website through Strikingly. Strikingly becomes your domain host when you transfer your domain to Strikingly. It means:
- You can manage your domain DNS from your Strikingly account.
- You can renew your domain from your Strikingly account.
- Your domain will be automatically configured once it's connected.
Related Article: Transferring Domains vs. Connecting Domains to Strikingly
Before you Start
- You must upgrade to a Premium Plan (if you haven't) in order to connect your domain.
- You need to wait for 1 to 2 weeks for the domain transfer to complete.
- You will need to monitor and reply to confirmation emails to complete the transfer process.
- During the transfer, all the DNS records stop working. Your domain may go offline during the transfer period. Or if you have domain emails, your email may not work. Check with your email provider to ensure there won't be any restrictions or issues by transferring the domain to Strikingly.
- You will need to pay to extend your domain for another year (you can't use the domain credit from Strikinglyy). This one year is added to your domain's current expiry date.
About your domain:
- Your domain must be eligible for transfer. Most domains can be transferred into Strikingly, but some domains, such .au,.cn, .jp, .ru domains, are not eligible.
- Your domain has been registered for more than 60 days. (Changing your domain registrant information can lock your domain for 60 days as well.)
- Your domain contact email address is correct and you have access to it.
- Your domain will be extended for another year.
If you are ready to proceed, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Release your domain at your domain registrar
- Step 2: Start the transfer
- Step 3: Monitor Your Domain Status and Respond to Confirmation Emails
- Step 4: Wait for the transfer to complete
Step 1: Release your domain at your domain registrar
1. Sign in to your current domain provider.
2. Find out what your domain provider's transfer policies say. Here're some popular domain providers:
3. Unlock your domain, so it's available for transfer.
4. Disable your domain's WHOIS privacy protection.
5. Request an authorization code (EPP code) from your current domain provider/registrar.
Step 2: Start the transfer
1. Go to your Strikingly Dashboard.
2. Go to "Domains" and click "TRANSFER DOMAIN".
3. Enter your domain and hit "Transfer".
4. Enter your Auth/EPP Code and click "CONFIRM TRANSFER".
5. Fill in your domain contact info on the next page. Please note that all fields are required.
6. Click "Submit" and check if your information is correct.
7. Click "Confirm Purchase" and you will be charged for the amount shown on the page. Domain pricing is based on the extension/TLD ie .com, .net, etc. There's no extra fee for the transfer itself.
8. Once confirmed, you'll see your domain in your account in "Waiting" status.
Step 3: Monitor Your Domain Status and Respond to Confirmation Emails
Note: You may receive an email from your current registrar, asking you to click on a link to cancel the transfer. You can ignore this email to let the process continue. Clicking the link will cancel your transfer request.
Monitor Your Domain Status
If you see "Failed" in your domain, you can click "RETRY" to check the reason and follow the instructions.
Respond to Confirmation Emails
You'll be asked to confirm/verify the following in two separate emails:
- Data Use Consent
- Contact Info for your newly transferred domain.
Step 4: Wait for the transfer to complete
It may take 1 to 2 weeks for the domain transfer to complete. Your domain show "Live" when the transfer process is complete.
1. Can I transfer an expired domain to Strikingly?
You can still transfer an expired domain, so long as it's still in the grace period (usually within 40 days after expiration) and not in redemption status.
2. How do I cancel a pending domain transfer?
3. If I am going to transfer a domain to Strikingly, is there an additional fee?
There's no additional fee for the transfer itself. But you will need to pay to extend your domain for another year. Domain pricing is based on the extension/TLD ie .com, .net, etc.
4. Why can't I transfer my domain to Strikingly?
This warning means that Strikingly currently doesn't support your domain. You can connect your Domain to your Strikingly site instead.