- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain managed through cPanel
This guide walks you through the process of hooking up your www and root domain to your Strikingly site if your domain registrar uses cPanel to manage DNS records. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help. If you're connecting a subdomain, you can visit Connecting Subdomains to Your Strikingly Site in cPanel. Or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the information here!
Note: If you are using HostGator and you do not have advanced DNS options, you will need to use a different DNS service. Here's our tutorial!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find the Zone Editor in cPanel
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record on cPanel
- Step 4: Add a URL Redirect on cPanel
- Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your custom domain in the "Custom Domain/Subdomain" box, such as "www.yourdomain.com" (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- Choose your registrar after you click "UPDATE" and continue the setup from your registrar.
Step 2: Find the Zone Editor in cPanel
1. Sign in to your cPanel.
2. Under the "Domains" section, click "Zone Editor".
Step 3: Add a CNAME record on cPanel
1. In the "Name" field, enter www
2. In the "TTL" field, enter 3600
3. In the "Type" field, select CNAME
4. In the "Record" field, enter www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com
www domain in the value field "www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com" should be your domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
5. Click "Save Record".
Tip: If you can't add a www CNAME record, look for existed CNAME and A records for www and delete them (only for www).
Step 4: Add a URL Redirect on cPanel
1. Return to the cPanel home and click "Redirects" under the "Domains" section.
2. Add a new redirect:
- Type: Permanent (301)
- Redirects to: http://www.yourdomain.com (this URL is just an example, please change it to your www domain name).
- Under www. redirection: select "Do Not Redirect www".
3. Click "add".
Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting Subdomains to Your Strikingly Site (e.g. info.domain.com, shop.domain.com)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps
If your site doesn't go online after 48 hours, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with us and include a screenshot of your domain settings so we can help!