- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain from 1&1 IONOS
This guide walks you through the process of hooking up your www and root domain to your Strikingly site. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help. Or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the information here!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find 1&1 IONOS 's DNS settings
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record on 1&1 IONOS
- Step 4: Add an A record on 1&1 IONOS
- Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your custom domain in the "Custom Domain/Subdomain" box, such as "www.yourdomain.com" (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- Choose your registrar after you click "UPDATE" and continue the setup from your registrar.
Step 2: Find 1&1 IONOS 's DNS settings
1. Sign in to your IONOS by 1&1 account.
2. Look in the My Products section and choose "Domains & SSL".
Step 3: Add a CNAME record on 1&1 IONOS
1. Click the gear icon inline with the domain you'd like to connect.
2. Select "Manage Subdomains".
3. On the next page, click "Add subdomain".
4. In the "Subdomain name" field, enter www
5. Click "Save".
6. After adding the subdomain www, the page will load. Without leaving the screen, click on the gear icon again.
7. In the same row as that of the newly created subdomain, pick "DNS".
8. Delete any existing www A record. This is to avoid any conflicts when adding your www CNAME.
9. Once deleted the existing www A record, click "Add record".
10. Select CNAME
11. In the "Hostname" field, enter www
12. In the "Point to" field, enter www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com
www domain in the value field "www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com" should be your domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
13. In the "TTL" field, select "1 hour".
14. Click "Save".
- On the next screen, you may see a warning that the default www records will be deleted. This is normal so you can proceed.
- If you can't add a www CNAME record, look for any other existing CNAME and A records for www and delete them (only for www).
Step 4: Add an A record on 1&1 IONOS
1. Go to the Domains section of the Control Panel, click the gear icon inline with the domain you'd like to connect.
2. Select "DNS".
3. Click "Add record".
4. Select A
5. In the "Hostname" field, enter @
6. In the "Point to" field, enter 220.127.116.11
7. In the "TTL" field, select "1 hour".
8. Toggle the "Do not add DNS record for www" option. Once it changes to "Add DNS record for www", click "Save".
Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting Subdomains to Your Strikingly Site (e.g. info.domain.com, shop.domain.com)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps