Start a subscription business and get paid every month through your website! By selecting a "Paid Subscription Membership", your visitors will be able to pay a recurring subscription to become members. You can then give paid members special access to paid-only content.
Paid Membership is perfect for selling recurring content, or a subscription product.
- How to Sell Subscription Memberships
- What Your Customer Sees
- Difference between Registration Methods
- Setting Up Members Only Pages
How to Sell Subscription Memberships
Before setting up Paid Membership, we recommend you to read through Activate the membership first.
1. Connect your Stripe account
We currently only support Stripe as the payment gateway for Paid Subscriptions. Connect your Stripe account in Settings - Accept Payment first. Make sure your Stripe is "enabled". See how to connect to Stripe.
2. Select Registration Method & Set a price
Then, in your Membership settings, set Registration Method to Paid Subscription Membership and set a Monthly Price.
- The Monthly Price will automatically be billed to your members on a recurring basis until they cancel or you cancel the subscription, or until the payment fails.
- Recurring payments are collected on the same day of the month. For example, if a monthly subscription is started on January 1, it will renew on February 1, March 1, etc.
- Monthly Price must be greater than or equal to USD$0.50 in any currency.
- If the amount is less than USD$0.50 equivalent, the payment will fail! Regardless of your selected currency, please make sure the price's USD equivalent is at least USD$0.50.
- If you have Paid Subscription Memberships, you must keep your Stripe connection active. If you ever disconnect Stripe, all of your recurring subscriptions will be terminated!
3. Create Members-Only pages with Paid Membership
Give your customers access to exclusive online content by creating members-only pages. Set certain pages to be visible only to Paid members. For more details, please see Add Membership to Your Website!
Notice: a new Pricing Table section is upcoming! So don't worry we are coming soon.
4. Manage Subscriptions in Strikingly Orders.
You can view all subscriptions in Orders - Subscriptions (Showing Orders requires Store section)! Each subscriptions has a status:
- Active: The customer has paid successfully and the subscription is ongoing
- Cancelled: The subscription was cancelled by site owner or members, this subscription will show Cancelled status. The customer is no longer billed, and they will no longer be able to access "paid members only" content.
- Payment Failed: A renewal payment has failed. The customer is no longer billed, and they will no longer be able to access "paid members only" content.
As the site owner, you can manually cancel a subscription in the Subscription Detail page. Upon cancellation, this member will no longer have access to "paid members only" content, and will no longer be billed.
In Subscription History section, you can see the history of events relating to this subscription, including each payment time.
What Your Customer Sees
Check out this sample site: http://paidmembership.mystrikingly.com/ (You can cancel the subscription anytime after initial payment, it won't charge you the recurring payments in future.)
1. Register & checkout
When a visitor opens the registration URL, they will see a popup and the ability to start a paid membership.
Note: Even if your customers cancel the checkout or the initial payment failed, they will have a free membership. In this case, they can begin a subscription via the "My Account" menu in your live site.
2. View Subscription in My Account
Your members are able to view their subscription details in the "My Account" menu after logging into your site. They can also cancel anytime.
- When the subscription is cancelled, the customer's membership will revert to a free membership, and will no longer have access to the "paid member only" content.
- When the renewal payment failed, the subscription will become cancelled & expired immediately.
Difference between Registration Methods
Paid Membership gives you the flexibility to create the type of plan that suits your business.
|Registration Method||Customer Experience|
|Free Membership||Anyone can register, no payment required.|
|Paid Subscription Membership||A member is required to subscribe & pay for the Paid Membership during the registration.|
|Buy Any Product to Register||Any customer who buys a product from your store will receive a membership via email.|
|Buy Specific Product to Register||Any customer who buys specific products from your store will receive a membership via email.|
For more details, we recommend you to read these related tutorials:
Creating Members-Only Pages
A members-only page will be your own secure page for your members. You can tie specific product(s) to selected member page(s) this way. You need to have multi-page activated to use this feature!
To setup member pages, go to your Page Manager and select which page you want to set as members-only.
1. On your site editor, click Manage.
2. Click the gear icon of the page that you want to set as members-only.
- Members only: all free members, paid members, and members with cancelled subscriptions will see this page.
- Paid members only: the paid members with an active paid subscription will see this page
- Members who purchased a specific product: (if you already have a Simple Store on your site), Store customers whom purchased a specific product will see this page.
You can set up existing pages as members-only or you can start with a new page. All sections will be available for you to add!
1. Can I create coupons for a Paid Subscription Membership?
Currently, our coupons do not support Paid Subscription Membership. If you need this feature, please let us know via online support.
2. Can I set specific products in my Simple Store to have recurring payments?
Unfortunately no. Currently, our Paid Membership function is tied to our Membership function, and not to our Simple Store, since the recurring payment subscription model works differently than regular store products.
3. How does monthly payment recur if the initial payment starts on the 31st of a month?
Example: A $10/month subscription begins on July 31. The customer will be billed as follows:
- July 31 = $10.00 USD
- August 31 = $10.00 USD
- October 1= $10.00 USD
- October 31= $10.00 USD