How to register a domain?
Your domain purchase is separate from your website subscription purchase. You must upgrade to a Limited, Pro, or VIP plan (if you haven't yet) to connect your domain.
Before You Register
- If you're within the first year of the Strikingly paid plan, you're eligible for one free custom domain (worth $24.95).
- If you're on a trial or a monthly plan, or if you want multiple domains, you will need to pay for the domains per year.
- Domains purchased through Strikingly start at US$24.95 per year. The exact pricing depends on which top-level domain (TLD) extension you choose, such as .com, .org, or .net. You can check the price and availability of your domain by searching your domain dashboard.
- Strikingly Domains are set to renew and charge automatically each year 7 days before the expiration date.
- Once you connect your domain, we'll automatically hook the domain up to your site, so you won't need to manage domain settings.
- Domains purchased through Strikingly include domain privacy.
- You can't change your domain names after registering/purchasing.
- Domain registrations/purchases are non-refundable.
If you are ready to proceed, follow these steps:
- Step 1: Choose Your Own Domain
- Step 2: Fill in Your Personal Information
- Step 3: Verify Your Domain Ownership via Email (very important)
- Step 4: Connect Your Strikingly Domain to Your Site
- Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Step 1: Choose Your Own Domain
If you are on your site editor
1. Go to your site editor, and click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Look for the "REGISTER NEW DOMAIN" box, type in your preferred domain name, and click "Search Domain".
Note: If you have an existing domain connected to your site, it will be removed and then replaced with the new domain you're registering.
If you are on your dashboard
1. Go to your Strikingly Dashboard > "Domains" and click "REGISTER NEW DOMAIN".
3. Type in your desired domain name and click "SEARCH DOMAIN". A list of suggested domains displays, you will see these results:
- Available - You can purchase this domain for a specified price.
- Free for the first year - If you're already on a yearly plan, you can pick one of these domains to register for free or pay for the differences. To learn more, visit Strikingly Domain: Free Offer / Domain Credit.
- Not available - It's not possible to purchase these domains. You can check the suggestions list instead.
4. Pick the year you want to have your domain for (default is 1 year).
5. Click "REGISTER".
Step 2: Fill in Your Personal Information
1. Fill out all the fields. Every field is required. Your personal information will be listed as the owner of the domain, but it's private, and won't be shown or shared with the public. WHOIS/Domain Privacy is included with all Strikingly Domains.
2. Make sure to put in a working email. An email verification will be sent after the purchase to verify your domain ownership. If you have an Apple email (@me.com, @apple.com, @icloud.com), we'd encourage you to use a different email to ensure that you receive your verification email.
3. All the information should be authentic, or the registration might fail.
4. Click "SUBMIT".
5. Review your personal information details.
6. Keep "Auto-renew my domain" checked if you want your domain to be automatically charged and renewed for you 7 days before the expiration date.
7. Click "CONFIRM PAYMENT" and you will be billed immediately. If you don't have billing information saved yet, you will be required to enter the details of your card or PayPal before you click the "Confirm Payment" button.
Note: If you purchase the wrong name by accident, we can not refund the registration cost. However, you can remove the auto-renewal to avoid renewing next year. Then register a new or correct domain name.
Step 3: Verify Your Domain Ownership via Email (very important)
After you confirm the domain purchase, you'll receive an email with the title "VERIFICATION REQUIRED - Please verify your domain name(s) as soon as possible" within 24 hours from email@example.com asking you to verify your email address. The email is sent to the address you entered during registration.
If you don't receive a verification email, then check your email's Spam/Junk folder. If you don't verify your email address, your domain might be suspended.
Email verification is a very important step in this process. You must verify your domain from this email within 15 days of registration or it will be suspended. Read more here: Strikingly Domain: Verify your Domain via email.
Step 4: Connect Your Strikingly Domain to Your Strikingly Site
If you purchase your domain from the site editor, your Strikingly domain will be connected to your site automatically. If you purchase your domain from the dashboard, you'll need to manually connect your Strikingly domain to your site.
Note: You must be on a paid plan to use the "custom domain connection" feature.
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, and click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your Strikingly domain in the "Connect a Domain You Already Own" box, such as "www.yourdomain.com" (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- If you purchased your domain from Strikingly, you're done!
- If it's from a third-party registrar, click here and follow the next steps.
Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Once done connecting your domain, please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's up, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
After you complete your own domain, you might also want to get a professional business email address, visit Strikingly Email: Creating Custom Email Addresses.
1. How much does registering a new domain cost?
The cost of registering a new domain depends on the TLD (top-level domain, ie .com, .net) you choose. However, you'll be billed $24.95 per year for registering domains with the extensions .com, .net, .org, .co, and .me.
2. Can you register my domain for me?
Domain registration requires personal and sensitive information like credit card information. We like to keep your information private, so we won't be able to register your domain for you.
3. How long should I wait before my site is up?
Normally, it takes a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's up, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
4. Can I get more than one custom domain?
Yes! You can get as many as you want. When you register a domain through Strikingly, we'll automatically hook it up through the settings of the site you're buying it on -- if you're buying extra domains, make sure to check what page you're using.
Maybe you'd like yourname.com, yourproject.com, and event2014.com! Or if you like to add subdomains, like shop.yourdomain.com, or info.yourdomain.com, you can visit Strikingly Domain: Creating Subdomains. Or Connecting Multiple Domains to One Strikingly Site.
5. Can I manage my own domain settings or transfer my domain away from Strikingly?
Yes! If your domain's DNS manager isn't activated yet, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you log in to your domain dashboard, you'll be able to manage host records or transfer your domain. This way, you can add subdomains, manage redirects, and more. Here's more about Strikingly Domain: Viewing Domain Info and Managing DNS Records.
If you want to change your domain host (including billing and renewal), you can visit Strikingly Domain: Transferring Domains Away.
6. What TLDs are available?
We support most domain extensions, you can choose from 500+ TLDs. However, there are some TLDs not available, like below: