- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain from Wix
A subdomain is an additional part of your main domain name (root domain). You can use subdomains for different sections of your website. For example, if you have a website just for shopping, which is part of your website yourdomain.com (root domain), you might use the subdomain shop.yourdomain.com.
The most popular subdomain is www. Here's how to connect the www domain and root domain to your main site: Connecting a Wix Domain to Your Strikingly Site.
For other subdomains, this guide will walk you through. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help, or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the info here!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find Wix's DNS settings
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record on Wix
- Step 4: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor and click SETTINGS > Domains.
2. Enter your subdomain in the "Connect a Domain You Already Own" box, such as "shop.yourdomain.com" (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click UPDATE.
4. Choose "Others" for your domain provider, and click "Start Configuration".
- You will see a pop-up that displays the records you'll need to set in your domain settings.
Note: Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
Step 2: Find Wix's DNS settings
1. Sign in to your Wix account.
2. Mouse over the "person icon" at the top left.
3. Click "Domains".
4. Click the icon next to your domain.
5. Select "Manage DNS Records".
Step 3: Add a CNAME record on Wix
1. Go to the "CNAME (Aliases)" section.
2. Click "+ Add Record".
3. Click "Got it" in the pop-up message.
4. In the "Host Name" field, enter subdomain.yourdomain.com (this domain is just an example, please change it to your subdomain).
5. In the "Value" field, enter subdomain.yourdomain + .s.strikinglydns.com
subdomain.yourdomain in the value field "subdomain.yourdomain + .s.strikinglydns.com" should be your subdomain and domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
6. In the "TTL" field, select 1 hour.
7. Click "Save".
8. Click "Save Changes" in the pop-up message.
Step 4: Confirm your setup is complete
- After you’ve confirmed the above setup, go back to your Strikingly site editor and click the "I've fixed, check again" button in the pop-up.
- If you've configured your DNS settings correctly, the pop-up will close and the domain status will show as "connected".
- If you haven't configured your DNS correctly, the pop-up will display the error status. You should go back to step 3 to reconfigure the DNS records correctly.
Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting a Wix Domain to Your Strikingly Site (for www and root domain)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps