- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain from Bluehost
This guide walks you through the process of hooking up your www and root domain to your Strikingly site. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help. Or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the information here!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find Bluehost's DNS settings (Zone Editor)
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record on Bluehost
- Step 4: Set up a Redirect on Bluehost
- Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your custom domain in the "Custom Domain/Subdomain" box, such as "www.yourdomain.com" (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- Choose your registrar after you click "UPDATE" and continue the setup from your registrar.
Step 2: Find Bluehost's DNS settings (Zone Editor)
1. Sign in to your Bluehost account.
2. Click the "Domains" tab.
3. Click the "Zone Editor" from the sub-menu.
4. Select the domain you're modifying from the drop-down box.
Note: Do not change your nameserver, Bluehost's default nameserver should be ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com
Step 3: Add a CNAME record on Bluehost
1. Scroll down to the heading named Add DNS Record.
2. In the "Host Record" field, enter www
3. In the "TTL" field, enter 3600
4. In the "Type" field, select CNAME
5. In the "Points To" field, enter www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com
www domain in the value field "www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com" should be your domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
6. Click the "add record" button.
Tip: If you can't add a www CNAME record, look for existed CNAME and A records for www and delete them (only for www).
Step 4: Set up a Redirect on Bluehost
1. Click the "Redirection" from the navigation.
2. Add a new redirect:
- Type: Permanent (301)
- Redirects to: http://www.yourdomain.com (this URL is just an example, please change it to your www domain name).
- Under www. redirection: select "Do Not Redirect www".
3. Click "add this redirect".
Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting Subdomains to Your Strikingly Site (e.g. info.domain.com, shop.domain.com)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps