How do I verify Webmaster Tools and submit a sitemap to Google?
Verifying your site with Google's Search Console give you access to all kinds of cool stuff, and lets you submit a sitemap to improve your SEO!
Here's how to do it.
Verifying your site
1. Go to Google's Search Console and login using your Google account. (You can create one if you don't yet have one.)
2. Once logged in, select the "URL Prefix" option and fill in your site URL such as "https://www.yoursite.com". Be sure your domain is already linked to your Strikingly site! Or you can enter your site's Strikingly.com URL such as example.strikingly.com if you don't have a custom domain linked to it. Click "Continue" afterwards.
3. Now you'll be asked to verify that you own this domain! Look for "Other verification methods" and select the "HTML tag" option. Copy the code provided.
Note: "HTML tag" (meta tag) is different from "HTML file upload" (.html). Please choose "HTML tag" and skip the "HTML file upload" option.
4. In a new browser tab, go to the Strikingly site editor. Go to Settings -> Advanced -> Services . To add the code to your Strikingly site, only paste the last part of the code from the meta tag. Make sure to publish the changes. Here's how it looks like:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="String_we_ask_for">
- the String_we_ask_for is what you need to copy and paste in the "Google Site Verification" field. Hit "Save" after.
5. Return to the Google Search Console page and click "Verify". You should now have access to Webmaster Tools!
- There may be a 5-15 minute delay before the HTML tag is detected. Be sure to allow a few minutes after publishing before you hit "Verify".
Submitting a sitemap
Once you're in you site's Webmaster Tools page in Google, click "Sitemaps". Enter "sitemap.xml" in the text box that appears then click "Submit". The sitemap.xml file is automatically generated for your Strikingly site! This sitemap tells Google more about your site in Google's own way of communicating.
- When you are trying to enter your site to Google Webmaster's tool make sure to use your www subdomain i.e. www.yourdomain.com and NOT the naked domain yourdomain.com
- Make sure you add https:// OR http:// depending on your site's current URL
- To avoid any sitemap errors, make sure that your site is not hidden from search engines.
If you are having trouble, it is possible that you did not hit "publish" on your site. This causes Google to say that there is no sitemap found.
That's it! Enjoy your Google Search Console and improved SEO! Keep in mind that this may take a day or more to take effect.
In case you need assistance, shoot us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with us.