Why isn’t my domain working? Why is my domain not connected?
After you’ve gone through the domain connection tutorial, refreshed, and waited for at least several minutes, you can check to see progress with this 2-step checklist.
Note: Some domain registrars may take up to 48 hours to update! Double-check your settings and come back to the site later.
Step 1. Go to http://yourdomain.com (change yourdomain to your domain name)
Does it work? If so, move to step 2! If not, keep reading:
- If this redirects you to http://page.strikingly.com (or www.strikingly.com/page), then you have set up domain forwarding wrong. You want to forward from yourdomain.com to www.yourdomain.com, not to your Strikingly URL! Check our domain connection tutorial here.
- If this tells you that no page exists or the page can’t be found, then think about what you did during your tutorial.
a) If you used “A Records” at some point, it’s very likely that you have A records for yourdomain.com that don’t belong to us. You should delete the extra ones. Check our domain connection tutorial here.
b) If you didn’t use “A Records”, it’s very likely that your domain forwarding isn’t set up, or is not active yet. Double-check that you’re forwarding (without masking) to www.yourdomain.com. Make sure you only have one CNAME for “www.” Check our domain connection tutorial here.
Step 2. Go to http://www.yourdomain.com (change yourdomain to your domain name)
Does it work? If so, you’re good to go. If not, check if you have the correct CNAME record.
- If this tells you that no page exists or the page can’t be found, then you probably haven’t set up a CNAME for “www” pointing to “www.yourdomain.com.s.strikinglydns.com”.
a) check your spelling
b) make sure you only have one CNAME for www
c) you may have to wait longer
- This is rare to happen, but if it redirects you to http://page.strikingly.com (or www.strikingly.com/page), then you might have set up subdomain forwarding. You should be using CNAME instead! See the tutorial here.
If you can see your site, but are having mobile compatibility or viewing issues…
Go to “view source.” You can do this by pressing “cmd+opt+U” on Mac, or “view” “developer tools” in the menu.
- If the code is longer than a couple of pages, you should be good to go! Email us with a screenshot and your question.
- If the code is less than a page, you are using “masked forwarding” or “framing.” This is bad for SEO, mobile compatibility, and more, so use the tutorial to connect your domain properly.
Still a mystery?