- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain from OVH
A subdomain is an additional part of your main domain name (root domain). You can use subdomains for different sections of your website. For example, if you have a website just for shopping, which is part of your website yourdomain.com (root domain), you might use the subdomain shop.yourdomain.com.
The most popular subdomain is www. Here's how to connect the www domain and root domain to your main site: Connecting an OVH Domain to your Strikingly Site
For other subdomains, this guide will walk you through. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the info here!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find OVH's DNS Zone
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record on OVH
- Step 4: Delete TXT records on OVH
- Step 5: Wait for the records to take effect
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your custom domain in the "Custom Domain/Subdomain" box, such as "info.yourdomain.com, shop.yourdomain.com, blog.yourdomain.com, etc." (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- Choose your registrar after you click "UPDATE" and continue the setup from your registrar.
Step 2: Find OVH's DNS Zone
1. Sign in to your OVH's account.
2. Click "Web Cloud" from the navigation.
3. Find your domain from the left sidebar under the "Domains" section.
4. Click "DNS zone".
Step 3: Add a CNAME record on OVH
1. Click "Add an entry"
2. Select "CNAME" from Pointer records and click "Next".
3. In the "Sub-domain" field, enter the subdomain you want (e.g. shop, blog, info, etc)
4. In the "TTL" field, select "Personalized" from the drop-down and type in 3600
5. In the "Target" field, enter subdomain.yourdomain + .s.strikinglydns.com.
subdomain.yourdomain in the value field "subdomain.yourdomain + .s.strikinglydns.com." should be your subdomain and domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
Don't forget to put the full stop/period in the end.
6. Click "Next".
7. Click "Confirm" (Don't forget to put the full stop/period in the end).
Step 4: Delete TXT records on OVH
1. Go back to the DNS zone.
2. Locate the default TXT records and delete them - these TXT records prevent new settings to take effect. Here's how they look like:
Step 5: Wait for the records to take effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting an OVH Domain to your Strikingly Site (for www and root domain)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps