How can I create a multi-language site?
Strikingly allows you to easily link together multiple sites to create a multi-language site.
For example, let's say you've created a site in English, and published it at www.myexamplesite.com. To turn this into a multi-language site (e.g. English and Japanese), you can do the following:
1. Activate the Language Switcher in either site’s Settings > Multi-language page.
2. After activating, you can add multi-language versions of the current site. You can set a language label and a flag icon for each site.
3. Click “Add New Language” and select the language you’d like to add.
4. Select how you’d like to add the new language site. There are 3 different ways you can do this:
Option 1: Connecting an existing site URL
You can directly connect to another site if you have already created a site in the target language. The site can be a Strikingly site or non-Strikingly site.
Option 2: Clone current site & manually translate
If you do not have a created foreign site, don’t worry we’ve got you covered! You can select the second option - your current site will be cloned and you need to manually translate the new site afterwards.
Option 3: Clone current site & auto-translate
Note: this is a VIP feature.
We’ve adopted Google Translate to help you create a multi-language site within minutes. You’ll need to select site sections you wish to be auto-translated.
Once you confirm, your site will be cloned first and then its content will be automatically translated. You’ll need to review and publish the newly-created site before it becomes visible to your site visitors.
Note: You can edit other parts of your current site during the cloning. We will notify you once the cloning process is complete.
What content does auto-translation cover?
- Page sections content (selected and required by default)
- Site Menu
- Button text
- Store and Portfolio (optional)
- Blogs (optional)
- SEO related content: including page URLs, titles, meta descriptions & image alt texts (optional)
5. Once you save these settings and publish your site, both sites will show a language switcher dropdown menu, with flags! This dropdown menu links the two sites to each other, so your visitor can always switch the language as needed.
Note: This Language Switcher applies to all associated sites simultaneously. Once you apply the settings to one site, it automatically applies the same settings to all sites in the Language Switcher list, so the sites are all synced.
Note: If you have a custom domain, you can connect the new language site to a subdomain, such as fr.myexamplesite.com. (If you've purchased your domain on Strikingly, you can read this guide to set up subdomains.)
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or chat with us if you have any questions!