- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain (if you don't have a domain yet, you can purchase from us)
A subdomain is an additional part of your main domain name (root domain). You can use subdomains for different sections of your website. For example, if you have a website just for shopping, which is part of your website yourdomain.com (root domain), you might use the subdomain shop.yourdomain.com.
The most popular subdomain is www. Here's how to connect the www domain and root domain to your main site: Connecting a Domain to your Strikingly Site
For other subdomains, this guide will walk you through. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the info here!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find your Registrar's DNS settings
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record
- Step 4: Wait for the records to take effect
- Specific Guides for Third-party domain providers
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your custom domain in the "Custom Domain/Subdomain" box, such as "info.yourdomain.com, shop.yourdomain.com, blog.yourdomain.com, etc." (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- Choose your registrar after you click "UPDATE" and continue the setup from your registrar.
Step 2: Find your Registrar's DNS settings
*If you purchased your domain from Strikingly, you're done! No need to do the following steps. We'll take care of the rest for you!
1. Sign in to your domain registrar's account.
2. Find the DNS Settings for your domain. (It can also be called DNS, DNS manager, DNS records, host record, zone settings, zone file, etc.)
Note: It's not NameServer. Do not change your nameserver!
Step 3: Add a CNAME record
Add the following CNAME record (different register has different calling):
|subdomain or subdomain.yourdomain.com||subdomain.yourdomain + .s.strikinglydns.com||Default|
subdomain.yourdomain in the value field "subdomain.yourdomain + .s.strikinglydns.com" should be your subdomain and domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
- Your domain is xxx.com and your subdomain is shop, the value should be: shop.xxx.com.s.strikinglydns.com
- Your subdomain is blog.abc.net, the value should be: blog.abc.net.s.strikinglydns.com
- Your subdomain is info.yourdomain.com, the value should be: info.yourdomain.com.s.strikinglydns.com
Step 4: Wait for the records to take effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting a Domain to your Strikingly Site (for www and root domain)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps
Specific Guides for Third-party domain providers
If you own a domain from one of the following providers, instead of following the general instructions, you can check the step-by-step guides for your own providers: