How do I publish my website?
When you're done editing your site, you can publish it by going to your site editor and clicking the Publish button. This will make your site go live which means, (1) it can be viewed by anyone who knows your site URL; and (2) search engines will start indexing (listing) your site on their search results.
How does the publish button work?
- Before you click the publish button for the first time, no one can find/stumble upon your site because it is hidden from all search engines! If you go to your strikingly URL, it will have the message "This site is not yet published."
- After you click "Publish" for the first time, your site will be indexable (findable) by search engines. You can disable this in Settings > Show Advanced > Privacy.
What is the difference between the saved version and the live version?
- Changes you make in the editor are saved in the editor. These are viewed through the "Preview" button.
- The LIVE version is only updated when you click "Publish."
- If you have a custom domain, there will a delay (between 5-15 minutes) before your live site is updated, but you can still view your site from the "Preview" button. This is because we are pushing your changes to our CDN which allows your site to be online and fast anywhere in the world.
How do I hide my site after publishing?
- Pro users: Add a password to your site.
This will allow only people with the password to see the content. This will also block the content from Google until you remove the password. Go to Settings>Show Advanced> Privacy to set this up.
- All users: Clone your site.
Note: This is a little complex. You can "unpublish your site" by making your old link invalid and starting again with a new, unpublished site. When people find the old link, they will not be able to view any content. However, this method means that google will see have the description you wrote in "settings" for a couple more days.
To do this, go back to your main dashboard at strikingly.com, and click the "clone" button on your site. The new site created is automatically brand new, and never published. Then, go back and delete the old site or rename it to invalidate the URL.
- Click the "unpublish" button.
Go to your dashboard > look for the site you want to unpublish > click the gear icon > click Unpublish. Check out visual tutorial here!