- A Premium Account from Strikingly
- A custom domain from Squarespace
This guide walks you through the process of hooking up your www and root domain to your Strikingly site. You can send this tutorial to your registrar if you need help. Or if you'd like us to connect your domain for you, send us the information here!
- Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
- Step 2: Find Squarespace Domain's DNS settings
- Step 3: Add a CNAME record on Squarespace
- Step 4: Add an A record on Squarespace
- Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Step 1: Connect to Your Custom Domain on Strikingly
1. Go to your Strikingly site editor, click "SETTINGS > Domains".
2. Put your custom domain in the "Custom Domain/Subdomain" box, such as "www.yourdomain.com" (without https:// or http:// or /).
3. Click "UPDATE".
- Type your domain in lowercase to avoid the "Page not found" error when accessing your site.
- Choose your registrar after you click "UPDATE" and continue the setup from your registrar.
Step 2: Find Squarespace Domain's DNS settings
1. Sign in to your Squarespace account.
2. In the Home Menu, click "Settings".
3. Click Domains.
4. Click the domain you’d like to connect with your Strikingly site.
5. Click "ADVANCED SETTINGS".
Step 3: Add a CNAME record on Squarespace
1. Delete the former CNAME and A records (Don't forget to take a screenshot for backup).
2. In the "Record" field of a blank row, select CNAME from the drop-down.
3. In the "Host" field, enter www
4. In the "Priority" field, leave it blank.
5. In the "Data" field, enter www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com
www domain in the value field "www domain + .s.strikinglydns.com" should be your domain name. Here are some examples of how the value should be:
6. Click "Add".
Tip: If you can't add a www CNAME record, look for existed CNAME and A records for www and delete them (only for www).
Step 4: Add an A record on Squarespace
1. In the "Record" field of a blank row, select A from the drop-down.
2. In the "Host" field, enter @
3. In the "Priority" field, leave it blank.
4. In the "Data" field, enter 188.8.131.52
5. Click "Add".
6. Hit "Save".
Step 5: Wait for the Records to Take Effect
Now that you've set up the domain records. Please allow a few up to 48 hours for the changes in the domain records to take effect globally. Once it's done, HTTPS/SSL will be automatically activated within 24 hours. Be sure to clear your browser cache before you check to see if the domain is working.
- Connecting Subdomains to Your Strikingly Site (e.g. info.domain.com, shop.domain.com)
- Live Site Error "Page not found"
- Live Site Error: "Your connection is not private/secure"
- Troubleshooting: Site is Down
- Standard Troubleshooting Steps